Day 1 – Monday 28th September 2020
9:10 – 9:20 Introduction and Welcome
9:20 – 10:00 Opening Ministerial Keynotes
10:00 – 10:30Unlocking the Geological potential of West Africa and the Sahel
- Key commodities under investigation: status updates and investment opportunities.
- International perceptions of different mining destinations in the region.
- The role of government in facilitating exploration and development of mineral resources.
- Challenges and risks of developing and financing mining projects in West Africa.
- The role of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in developing the mineral industry.
10:30 – 11:30 Country Spotlight Presentations
- Burkina Faso
- Niger Republic
12:00 – 13:00 Designing Modern Mining Codes to attract FDI
- New mining codes in Africa and the Arab World: what is the best model to encourage Foreign Direct Investment?
- Resource nationalism and current political trends: the impact of regulatory risk on investment.
- Drafting public policy to develop the mining sector and its production chain.
- The role of law in attracting investment and the key features of modern mining codes.
14:00 – 15:00 Unearthing Mineral Riches in the Horn of Africa
- The recent normalisation of relations within the Horn of Africa: what does this mean for regional mining?
- Positive developments in the production of key commodities: copper and gold.
- Commercialising mining operations- partnership opportunities between governments and mining companies.
- Exploring Collaboration Opportunities between the Horn of Africa and GCC countries.
15:30 – 16:30 Country Spotlight Presentations
Day 2 – Tuesday 29th September 2020
09:30 – 10:30 The Arabian Nubian Shield
- New Mining Frontiers in the Arabian Nubian Shield.
- Highlighting successful Exploration and Development projects across the Shield.
- The Arab World as “more than just oil and gas”. Opportunities in Exploration, FDI and project development.
- The UK and Europe’s contribution to developing mineral industries in the Arab World.
11:00 – 12:00 Country Spotlight Presentations
- Saudi Arabia
12:30 – 13:00 Spotlight on Oman and its new judicial mining code
14:00 – 15:00 Junior Spotlight Presentations
Juniors with operations in the following territories will give 10-minute corporate presentations to investors:
- Sahel and West Africa
- Arabian Nubian Shield
- Horn of Africa
15:00 – 16:00 Obtaining and Marketing Geological Data
- Latest technologies and innovations in producing and analysing Geodata.
- New tools for marketing Geodata to stimulate investment: i-MINE Case Study
- Geodata occurrences, undercurrent geology, license areas, airborne studies, historical records- what kinds of data are likely to generate most interest in a project?
16:30 – 17:00 Good Governance and Boardroom Diversity
- Emerging trends and best practice in the good governance of natural resources.
- Seeking out Arab and African talent: local community outreach and content policies.
- Women in Arab and African Mining: benefits of building a diverse workplace.
- Changing the perception of mining: promoting transparency, inclusion and accountability.
Day 3 – Wednesday 30th September 2020
09:00 – 10:00 Investor Perceptions of Arab and African Mining
- Investment flows into Global Mining: Key Drivers.
- Optimism or Caution: projections for the industry in 2019 and beyond.
- Electric vehicles, battery storage and renewable energy: how can Africa and the Arab World contribute?
- Key requirements for capital raising: what do investors look for in a project?
- Arab and African Mining: an international investor’s perspective
10:30 – 11:30 Responsible and Sustainable Mining
- How can mining contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals?
- Mining and Socially Responsible Investment: does the sector risk becoming an investment wilderness?
- Bridging the trust gap between miners, governments and communities. What needs to happen after the Vale dam disaster?
- Attracting capital to the industry when the demand for ESG investments is on the rise.
12:00 – 13:00 Future Tech in Mining
- Future Tech: unaffordable luxury, or necessary driver for higher efficiency and lower costs?
- Identifying key technology requirements of Arab state-owned companies and producing mines.
- Case studies demonstrating ROI on cutting edge technological solutions.
- Showcase Technology Solutions: Internet of Things, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Mobile Analytical Laboratories, Aerial Vehicles, Drones, Automation and Remote Control in Extraction and Exploration.
13:00Close of the Arab and African Mining Conference